You are NOT Logged in.
Meet up and have a chat about anything, just about. Pop in and get the craic...
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous1234567Next
Current Page:6 of 7
Snowplough


Guest
Re: Politics and Snowsports
Date Posted: 16.45hrs on Tue 30 Jan 07
I give up posting...it's obviously beyond me lol
HTH not logged


Guest
Re: Politics and Snowsports
Date Posted: 16.57hrs on Tue 30 Jan 07
Snowie, do you have the right Regional Settings ? winking smiley
alan


Posts: 10750
Joined: Nov 1994
Last Visited: 23:28
2nd Dec 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Re: Politics and Snowsports
Date Posted: 17.12hrs on Tue 30 Jan 07
Snowplough - if your trying to use quotes " or ' your post will get cut off - this is because " is a special entity in html and phorum will convert the " to " which is an html entity. Because of the spambot attacks it has been neccessary to block guest posts with html and or links.
Snowplough


Guest
Re: Politics and Snowsports
Date Posted: 17.16hrs on Tue 30 Jan 07
Ah!

I thought it might have been a sophisticated device to stop me taking the bait from William's posts!
Mattun


Guest
Re: Politics and Snowsports
Date Posted: 17.46hrs on Tue 30 Jan 07
HTH wrote: "On the VAT question, it would produce 17.5% more income to each centre, for the same ticket sales value, and could be the difference between survival or closure in a bad season. - It is an area of EU inconsistency, which is exactly where our MP/MSP/MEP's can help us."

I thought taxation matters were the domain of member states, i.e. there is no requirement for a homogenous tax regieme. So rather than taxation inconsistency, maybe a better tack would be to go with your first point - it will give a much-needed shot in the arm, produce employment in isolated regions, etc, etc. And more profitable ski operators will pay more corporation tax (eventually)
growwild


Guest
Re: Politics and Snowsports
Date Posted: 18.03hrs on Tue 30 Jan 07
Is it britain/england who have made the decision tae make our resorts pay the VAT or Europe? its been said before but I have forgot....

Maybe a start could be some sort of letter e-mail sent tae all partys/mps etc that highlight our cause and see what sort of response it gets, I would write it but my grasp of the queens english is no way as good as aw you's, plus I'd start swearing... I have loads tae say but can't say it properly, find it pretty hard tae translate whats in my head tae paper(without sounding like an "un-educated fool")..

What about the papers, surely this is a story for them to have another go at the government, but then again it may not...
William


Guest
Re: Politics and Snowsports
Date Posted: 18.14hrs on Tue 30 Jan 07
The tax system, generally, is a shambles in this country.

As is our policy towards sports, again an area in which so much can be learned from places like Australia,
growwild


Guest
Re: Politics and Snowsports
Date Posted: 18.48hrs on Tue 30 Jan 07
True, but if people let others get away with things and pretty much just bend over and take it then they will keep doing it....

Its time tae rise up, and show these folk that we wont accept their rubbish anymore, look at the french, they dont take any crap, they stand together and make plenty of noise and get things done!

Time for a revoulution!
Mattun


Guest
Re: Politics and Snowsports
Date Posted: 09.20hrs on Wed 31 Jan 07
member states decide tax policy. Reason I mentioned it may not be a good idea (although still worth mentioning in passing) concentrating on the harmonization issue is that it is a political hot potato. I imagine the reason other countries have it is because ski industry is usually much bigger and has political clout. Still, a petition would seem to be a good idea at a time when people are more interested than usual in getting our votes.
HTH


Guest
Re: Politics and Snowsports
Date Posted: 10.29hrs on Wed 31 Jan 07
It's true that EU Member states retain tax autonomy, within defined limits. - For example VAT rates vary across EU, and there would be more VAT to pay in France than in UK, if ski tickets were taxed in France. (See..it could be worse!)

However, the question of consistency does carry some weight in the UK. - For example, the duties applied to Alcoholic Beverages underwent adjustment, due to it being unreasonably different from other EU countries.

There is also a small crack in the UK tax policy, in that the Cairngorm ski Pass is part VAT-applied and part VAT-exempt. This is because it includes a "Rail Transport Ticket".

So there are 2 precedents (or inconsistencies) to build a VAT-exepmt case upon:

1.) UK VAT policy, is making our domestic snowsports industry un-competitive in a european Market, by reason of a VAT burden, which our EU competitors do not have.

2.) UK VAT policy treats snowsports inconsistently WITHIN the UK, by virtue that some uplift is granted VAT-exempt status, but other uplift, serving the same mountain, is VAT-applied.

Unfortunately skiers would probably expect a price drop if VAT were removed, when in fact the centres probably need to keep the gains for themselves!


William


Guest
Re: Politics and Snowsports
Date Posted: 11.27hrs on Wed 31 Jan 07
your point number two sounds like a typical British "fudge"!
Mattun


Guest
Re: Politics and Snowsports
Date Posted: 11.39hrs on Wed 31 Jan 07
A quick search on google suggests that ski lifts are also tax exempt in the US (as far as i could tell).
growwild


Guest
Re: Politics and Snowsports
Date Posted: 12.37hrs on Wed 31 Jan 07
HTH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> 1.) UK VAT policy, is making our domestic
> snowsports industry un-competitive in a european
> Market, by reason of a VAT burden, which our EU
> competitors do not have.
>
> 2.) UK VAT policy treats snowsports inconsistently
> WITHIN the UK, by virtue that some uplift is
> granted VAT-exempt status, but other uplift,
> serving the same mountain, is VAT-applied.
>
> Unfortunately skiers would probably expect a price
> drop if VAT were removed, when in fact the centres
> probably need to keep the gains for themselves!
---------------------------------------

Reading the above and some of the tosh that comes out of Europe about fair play and aw that, says tae me it aint aw fair.....

Surely there is a case to be heard, dunno where or how the money would be raised tae challenge it, but if smackheads/rapists/murderers get free legal aid why can we not get it if the snowsports industry will be improving lives/health/jobs etc...





alan


Posts: 10750
Joined: Nov 1994
Last Visited: 23:28
2nd Dec 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Re: Politics and Snowsports
Date Posted: 14.39hrs on Wed 31 Jan 07
AFAIK the SSMG has been through the courts before over the VAT issue - their case was rejected and was strongly opposed by the govt as success for the ski areas could result in years of VAT payments being returned.
William


Guest
Re: Politics and Snowsports
Date Posted: 14.46hrs on Wed 31 Jan 07
So, putting the tax issue to one side, is there any way that the government could possibly be persuaded that investing in outdoor sports is worthwhile? After all, it is hardly possible to pick up a paper without some fatso from the government barking on about obesity and how children should be more active.
Goto Page:  Previous1234567Next
Current Page:6 of 7
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: