You are NOT Logged in.
Meet up and have a chat about anything, just about. Pop in and get the craic...
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  123456Next
Current Page:1 of 6
Lionel

Last Visited: 01:15
26th Nov 2017
Your week or weekend ski-mountaineering tours (wherever you are)
Date Posted: 01.06hrs on Tue 13 Feb 07
I think that we could post some pics of our ski-mountaineering tours. That would be great to share our experience and pics with all the skiers who enjoy skiing like that.

Yesterday, sunday 11th I went ski-mountaineering in my valley not far from my village.
I skinned my skis and skied up to the top of Mont Forchat at the altitude of 1539 metres. I had a great time and was quite lucky with the remaining snow on the hill.

The weather was not too bad, very windy and quite cold but I managed to get some good views over Lake Geneva or Lake Léman, and also on the higher hills like Mont Billiat and Roc d'Enfer (Hell Rock).

I skied nearly up to the steep top (but on the last metres of the ascent, there was a lack of snow and I had to walk, carrying my skis). At the top is the statue of Saint François de Sales, a very famous man in our region. He was a priest and he brought back the whole region to catholicism after the Swiss invaded us and imposed their protestant faith to the area.

Then I skied down into the forest where I saw the open-air wooden church and down into the fields where I left my signature in blue wave-shaped lines. I left a bit late in the afternoon so I came back late and my last run into the woods was really at dusk. It was dark when I was back to my car.

Click on the link below to watch all my pics

http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p282/Ch...0MONT%20FORCHAT

Greetings from the Alps,

Lionel

Edited 4 times. Last edit at 01.12hrs Tue 13 Feb 07 by Lionel.
BigRed

Last Visited: 13:22
5th Mar 2010
Re: Your week or weekend ski-mountaineering tours (wherever you are)
Date Posted: 09.03hrs on Tue 13 Feb 07
Hi Lionel,
Nice pictures and thanks for sharing. Looks like some fairly deep snow in places. Can you send some to Scotland please - oh and some nice crisp cold but clear skies as well. grinning smiley
Lionel

26th Nov 2017
Date Posted: 10.46hrs on Tue 13 Feb 07
Hi BigRed,

I wish i could send some snow and crisp cold clear blue skies from the Alps to Scotland ... but over here in the Alps, the snow cover is very irregular this year. It alternates between heavy snowfalls and then rain and mild temperatures up on higher ground. A very strange winter season indeed.

Greetings from the Alps,

Lionel
Lionel

26th Nov 2017
Date Posted: 10.47hrs on Tue 13 Feb 07
I hope that some ski-mountaineers in Scotland will post messages here with beautiful pictures of the Highlands in winter. Waiting for your posts.

Lionel
BigRed

5th Mar 2010
Date Posted: 15.11hrs on Tue 13 Feb 07
Hi Lionel, have you tried clicking the "Back Country" or the "Public Reports" above as there are some sweet pitures in there.
Lionel

26th Nov 2017
Date Posted: 18.13hrs on Tue 13 Feb 07
Hi BigRed,

I have never tried clicking the "Back Country" or the "Public Reports" before but I will do it. Thanks for telling me about those threads.

Greetings from France,

Lionel
telemarker

Last Visited: 14:59
12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 07.34hrs on Wed 14 Feb 07
Hi Lionel

as BigRed says we post our reports of backcountry skiing here:

[www.winterhighland.info]

and piste skiing here:

[www.winterhighland.info]

as Alan has setup a good system for uploading details of location, date, weather, snow conditions etc etc, and uploading photos and captions

enjoyed looking through your photos, I am looking forward to doing similar in Cervinia in April as going on a speficic off-piste skiing holiday

Lionel

26th Nov 2017
Date Posted: 21.47hrs on Wed 14 Feb 07
Hi Telemarker,

Thanks very much for your message about your backcountry skiing reports. Very nice pictures indeed. It's really good to see how the skiing is in Scotland. I love your country and its beautiful mountains in all seasons.

I hope you have a great time skiing in Cervinia in April with loads of powder snow. And I am sure you will post your pictures on the winterhighland site.

Enjoy your skiing in Scotland,

Lionel
Lionel

26th Nov 2017
Date Posted: 01.02hrs on Fri 23 Feb 07
Last week-end, (16th, 17th and 18th February) I had a great time ski-mountaineering and snow-shoeing with my friends Dominique and Alain and my nephew Florian. We travelled to Switzerland to the suspended valley of Loëtschental which is part of UNESCO World Heritage. It's an Alpine paradize and we also attended the famous Carnival. Here are my first pictures : pictures of our first day in this awesome place. We walked with our snowshoes from the village of Blatten (1500 m) to the mountain of Tellialp (2050 m) under a fantastic sunshine and blue sky.

[s131.photobucket.com]

telemarker

Last Visited: 14:59
12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 08.46hrs on Fri 23 Feb 07
nice photos

must have been hassle for your friend on snow shoes seeing you guys on skis zoom down the hills!
BigRed

5th Mar 2010
Date Posted: 09.21hrs on Fri 23 Feb 07
Very nice photos Lionel. I especially like the 2nd one, that valley looks like a very nice snow trap.
Lionel

26th Nov 2017
Date Posted: 17.33hrs on Fri 23 Feb 07
Saturday 17th February 2007 : our second day that we spent ski-mountaineering in the Loëtschental valley, climbing the glacier. At night we chased masked people in the villages narrow streets to take some pictures. Breathtaking and frightening !

[s131.photobucket.com]

BigRed

5th Mar 2010
Date Posted: 19.48hrs on Fri 23 Feb 07
WOW! Now thats . . . different! Was it to celebrate some kind of local festival or something?
Lionel

26th Nov 2017
Date Posted: 20.39hrs on Fri 23 Feb 07
BigRed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WOW! Now thats . . . different! Was it to
> celebrate some kind of local festival or
> something?

Hi BigRed,

Yes indeed, in Loëtschental, they celebrate Carnival one week before Shrove Tuesday. We went there to watch the Carnival and also to enjoy ski-mountaineering and snow-shoes walks in the mountains.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 23.03hrs Fri 23 Feb 07 by Lionel.
BigRed

5th Mar 2010
Date Posted: 22.51hrs on Fri 23 Feb 07
If you bumped into that in a dark alley on a night after a good beer or 7 it would make you jump!!
Sounds ideal - ski/board, touring and snow shoeing AND a festival with lots of food and beer!! grinning smiley

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 10.42hrs Sat 24 Feb 07 by BigRed.
Goto Page:  123456Next
Current Page:1 of 6
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: