You are NOT Logged in.
Meet up and have a chat about anything, just about. Pop in and get the craic...
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous123
Current Page:3 of 3
StevieMcK

Last Visited: 13:25
29th Apr 2019
Re: Nevis Back Corries Thread
Date Posted: 16.08hrs on Wed 21 Feb 07
Jamizon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I didn't even go down the back, i'm not that
> stupid! I didn't blame other people either. I just
> said that after reading reports and looking at
> pictures of the back made rory think that it was
> acceptable to go down when its closed...

Which is trying to justify his actions based upon other folks decisions.

Jamizon

Last Visited: 13:21
3rd Nov 2023
Date Posted: 16.11hrs on Wed 21 Feb 07
ok then and anyway I don't see anyone else getting a load of a abuse for skiing it when its closed...
rors

Last Visited: 17:15
13th Feb 2009
Date Posted: 16.24hrs on Wed 21 Feb 07
is it not your own choice, where you ski and where you dont wanna ski?
StevieMcK

29th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 16.33hrs on Wed 21 Feb 07
Yeah it is, but when you buy a ticket/season pass you agree to the following...

"The ticket is sold subject to the users compliance with the international skiing and snowboarding code of practice", which includes...

FIS (International Ski Federation Rules)

Respect - Do not endanger others.

Control - Adapt the manner and speed of your skiing to your ability and to the general conditions of the mountain.

Signs - Obey all signs and markings - they are there for your safety.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 16.37hrs Wed 21 Feb 07 by StevieMcK.
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 16.36hrs on Wed 21 Feb 07
Quote:
but rory you have never skied the back before!!

Enough said. Except that I think the big issue for most people is not where Rory skied, but the false alarm for a boy falling through a cornice and being avalanched, when there was a real incident (infact more than one from what I can gather) ongoing in the Back Corries.

As for closed terrain - if you go onto a slope skiing/climbing or whatever that is at a high risk of aa avalanche, you also endanger terrain below and in some circumstances where stability is marginal the lower slopes maybe deemed safe as a spontaneous natural avalanche is not likely, but with the loading and cutting of a ski the whole slope could go.

Think about the consequences of your actions, not only for yourself but perhaps more importantly for others.
growwild

Date Posted: 16.43hrs on Wed 21 Feb 07
Aye Rory, but a bit of sence should come intae it, as some have said, they might have been blasting that day or doing other work, I dunno if ya asked anyone afore ye went in, or told that many people that ye were, I'm not having a dig at ya, but It would be good tae have you around for a bit longer, don't wanna see ye wiping yerself out or having other folk putting themselves in danger.....

I think Jamie made a good point about others puting pics up and others then thinking its ok tae go in when its closed, and others do bang on about the Back Corries when some of those obviously tae me lack the skills tae go in ... Its the old thing about "If i told ye tae jump aff that bridge would ye do it" etc, but Rory is just a young lad, and its not for me tae say, but maybe impressionable and looks up tae some of the folk on here for what they are doing, he made what could have been a dangerous mistake, but loads on here must have done the same at some point in their life....

Edit, just read Alans post,, never knew there was a rescue goin on, yer burds a daftie wee man, get yersel a knew one, one wi loads a cash!

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 16.48hrs Wed 21 Feb 07 by growwild.
HTH

Last Visited: 11:13
20th Feb 2018
Date Posted: 16.49hrs on Wed 21 Feb 07
This extends to all mountain sports in general. - First, Stevie is correct, that if you buy the ticket, you accept the responsibilities that come with it. - that includes situations where you are entering and/or leaving the Patrolled Areas.

In general, with mountain sports, you should respect the advice of those who have posted warnings, or reported their surveys of terrain. - For example, if there is an SAIS report for that area, where you are climbing/touring, then you should respect the advice it offers.

If you disagree with somebody's opinion that the risk is too high...then you have to arrive at this decision, by making your own proper assessment of the risk. - NOT just on the basis of "guts".

Note, this includes your duty to assess if others will be caught up in your venture, such as cutting across climbers if you are riding a gully or some other walking route in winter.

If you expect others to come to your rescue, then you should have respect for the fact that your accident, will oblige those people to enter the same risky terrain as you have just had your accident in!

So, NO it's not entirely up to yourself, because your conduct has an impact upon others.

Jamizon

Last Visited: 13:21
3rd Nov 2023
Date Posted: 17.35hrs on Wed 21 Feb 07
Anyyyyway! I think there shoud be a winterhighland irc channel!
rors

13th Feb 2009
Date Posted: 18.58hrs on Wed 21 Feb 07
yeh the plan was a wee ride round lemming ridge and then down the warrens, we where just going for a wee look down the back cos it was really clear. but then we got chatting a few times with climbers say that it was really good and they had seen some boarders go down earlier on (hmm... i dont think the boarders acctually went down cos i seen them going across and then heading along switch) and that there was no cornice over a yellow belly and backtrack and winger wall. so we heads along chatting away to these climbers saying how good it is but to watch for patches of ice so we decided just to go for it, and everything was fine, except the long walk out. that was gay.

and i do not fancy/go out with heather my girlfriends called chelsea.!
rossy

Last Visited: 05:42
4th Mar 2015
Date Posted: 13.03hrs on Thu 22 Feb 07
I can understand the concern for rors if he's younger than all of us, i mean it would be awful if anything had happened. But did anyone give 'avy ally' such a lecture on the dangers of closed runs? If rors has the ability and most importantly the equipement, i.e transceviers, then surely its a personal choice whether to go down the run or not.

Sure HTC he may have been causing a danger to climbers in the corries, but how about the users of Glencoe who might have been hurt if the avalanche last year and early this season had been a lot bigger? Or how about the groups of skiers and boarders that venture into backcountry areas, surely the risks there are higher. Should they really be going off piste if what your saying is true?
StevieMcK

29th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 13.18hrs on Thu 22 Feb 07
rossy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But did anyone give 'avy
> ally' such a lecture on the dangers of closed
> runs?

There was a 5 page "discussion" when it happened and folk didn't hold back then either.

[www.winterhighland.info]

alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 13.27hrs on Thu 22 Feb 07
Quote:
If rors has the ability and most importantly the equipement, i.e transceviers,

In this case it was the first time he had ever skied in the Back Corries or similar terrain. As for the right equipment, when asked about this before the response was "yes I have a GPS". Sounds like better luck than judgement that he got down mostly on skis than head first on his arse.

The hoax avalanche alarm was the thing I think most people got worked up about in Rorys Case.
rors

13th Feb 2009
Date Posted: 16.49hrs on Thu 22 Feb 07
the hoax wasnt m y fault heather cameron told the ski patrol there was all sorts of carnage but everything was fine
rossy

Last Visited: 05:42
4th Mar 2015
Date Posted: 18.50hrs on Thu 22 Feb 07
Ha GPS, i love it. I think next time rors will think before dropping in after this discussion, which is what i think everyones getting at. But does it really help to go on about it? I think next time you should maybe take a transceiver though, it could save you life dude. Avi Ally was lucky twice, luck doesnt last forever though.

it also doesnt help if you have overexcited ski patrollers or weekend skiers at the top shouting 'mayday' if someones drops down the back. That just wastes peoples time
Goto Page:  Previous123
Current Page:3 of 3
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: