You are NOT Logged in.
Meet up and have a chat about anything, just about. Pop in and get the craic...
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous123
Current Page:3 of 3
BigRed

Last Visited: 13:22
5th Mar 2010
Re: Lunar Eclipse
Date Posted: 22.50hrs on Mon 5 Mar 07
www.winterhighlandscience.com
grinning smiley
But it is cool to see how much stuff some people actually know - and its good to learn new things too!
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 23.47hrs on Mon 5 Mar 07
Rors, trains were doing 100mph by that time !!
HTH

Last Visited: 11:13
20th Feb 2018
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 07.55hrs on Tue 6 Mar 07
For trainspotters, the critical year was 1829 when Stephenson's Rocket won the Rainhill Trials. - I think it achieved 29mph, and was the fastest steam locomotive at the trials.

Actually, it's funny how the concept of "maximum velocity" has changed over the years. Back then it was believed that no human could travel faster than about 30mph (I think) because the shock or rigour of the motion would traumatise the human frame. - It wasn't considered to be a maxmum velocity for all matter, but just for human transport.

Now we have progressed to considering Light Speed as the fundamental limit (3 x 10^8 m/sec) - we know that EM waves travel at this velocity in vacuum, but have struggled to get matter fully up to this speed.

Did anybody see last week's reports on the CERN Large Hadron Collider. - 15mls of particle accelerator, just about ready to create a very small "big bang". - That may well produce "light-Speed" matter.

For Time Travel, I believe you require to transport "matter" at greater than Light Speed, otherwise it's simply a case of stored or delayed perception, such as in the Doppler Shift Effect. - there are some Quantum Mechanical calculations in which Light Speed appears to be exceeded, but if I recall correctly, there is no transport of matter/energy in those parts of the calculation.

Somebody might be able to help me with that one, because my Quantum Mechanics is a bit rusty.
growwild

Date Posted: 11.55hrs on Tue 6 Mar 07
HTH I hope you donate yer brain tae science, along with a good few others fae here!

"Thermal energy"

I like the sound of that William, u think thats where ghosts come fae? I heard that energy cant disapear it has to carry on and go somewhere, like when ya snuff it, the energy from the body has to go somewhere? am i getting somewhere here or talking pish?

"Time travel"

Is it actually possible, can just see it now, me standing wi Wallace on the hill with a couple of Remingtons with all his men bellow holding AK47's and mortars and RPG's getting ready tae rock! Then I come back and Scotland is the best wee country in the world, all the resorts have snowmaking, everyone is in a job, and England and America are asking Scotland for loans, and Africa has to make a public apoligy because of using England and American slaves years back tae make Africa a major world power!!!!!!
William

Last Visited: 08:32
12th Apr 2008
Date Posted: 15.43hrs on Tue 6 Mar 07
I'm 100% sure that Scots got their fingers in the slave pie too Wild! I work with a black dude whose surname is MacDonald, which was a slave name given to his West Indian forebears from the Scottish Plantation owner. Did you miss the bit about Scots being the most zealous empire builders of all? Have a look at an atlas at all the Scottish placenames around the world.

I think it would be more constructive to worry about the continuing slave trade in Africa, and the East European gangs bringing slaves in to work in this country.
Jamizon

Last Visited: 13:21
3rd Nov 2023
Date Posted: 16.42hrs on Tue 6 Mar 07
rors Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> did you know that when the 1st cars where invented
> they couldnt go over 20mph because know one had
> been that fast before (im not sure) and scientests
> believe that you would just drop dead because of
> the G forces.
>

Ohh hahaha I remember that it sounded soo stupid! Can't some people even run that fast??

William

12th Apr 2008
Date Posted: 16.55hrs on Tue 6 Mar 07
yeah, a world class sprinter hits about 23mph
rors

Last Visited: 17:15
13th Feb 2009
Date Posted: 17.04hrs on Tue 6 Mar 07
well thats what my science teacher mr meldrum said me and jamizon where in stiches when he said it. i thought it was a bit fishy.
William

12th Apr 2008
Date Posted: 17.05hrs on Tue 6 Mar 07
HTH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> there are some Quantum Mechanical calculations in
> which Light Speed appears to be exceeded, but if I
> recall correctly, there is no transport of
> matter/energy in those parts of the calculation.

relativly speaking, if you are going "faster than light" you are going backwards in time. It all relative to an observer, who would notice that no speed limits have been broken,
William

12th Apr 2008
Date Posted: 17.07hrs on Tue 6 Mar 07
says here Donovan Bailey hit 27mph at the 60 meter mark in one of his races:

[www.maa.org]
rors

13th Feb 2009
Date Posted: 17.16hrs on Tue 6 Mar 07
there is a speed limit on my road of 20mph and on my bike i have done 41mph on it and im still alive!. was it true that when seatbelts came out some lunatics refued to wear them incase they crashed in to a canal and couldnt get it off and drowned?
William

12th Apr 2008
Date Posted: 17.20hrs on Tue 6 Mar 07
yeah, they are called Americans
rors

13th Feb 2009
Date Posted: 17.23hrs on Tue 6 Mar 07
hahahaha most of them are abuit to heavy to get out of cars quickly in car parks nevermind being semi submerged in a canal!
Goto Page:  Previous123
Current Page:3 of 3
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: