You are NOT Logged in.
Meet up and have a chat about anything, just about. Pop in and get the craic...
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
mau00149

Last Visited: 22:37
18th Dec 2017
Highland Living
Date Posted: 22.10hrs on Mon 5 Mar 07
Just looking for some views from people that stay in the area ranging from Aviemore to Inverness to Nairn and Elgin. I am considering moving to Nairn as my girlfriend should be getting a permanant position in Elgin. She is currently renting in Inverness and is looking to move/buy to Nairn to reduce travel time but also remain close enough to Inverness for social life/family etc.

I enjoy all outdoor life from walking to mountainbiking and snowboarding, etc. Basically anything outdoors i'll give it a try if i haven't already!

I was wondering if anyone had any views of staying in Nairn from general lifestlye to commuting to Inverness to sports and so on. Any views or thoughts or suggested locations would be greatly appreciated.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 08.30hrs Wed 7 Mar 07 by mau00149.
Mike_w

Last Visited: 06:19
12th Aug 2019
Re: Highland Living
Date Posted: 22.36hrs on Mon 5 Mar 07
I grew up in Forres and lived there until I started uni in Edinburgh. At the time I couldnt wait to leave and live in the city. Now other than at work I cant wait to be back in the Highlands.

No problem with outdoor pursuits up there, I guess its whether or not you can cope with leaving the big city?

The A96 is a bit of a crappy road in places (no dual carriageway until near aberdeen except for some crawler lanes, some big accident blackspots although I've never seen the levels of stupidity I see on the A9....)

Lots of new housing being built, I hardly recognise the place now, my dad says the prices have really shot up.

Mike in Edinburgh
Assorted scottish pics - www.prog99.com
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 23.27hrs on Mon 5 Mar 07
Prices indeed, there's new 2 bedroom flats overlooking the river in the city centre of Inverness and their looking for offers over £300,000 eye popping smiley

Would commuting be by car or train or dependent on location? For driving into Inverness, Strathspey has advantages as the A9 from the South isn't as busy as the A96 from the East.

Obviously with lots of development going on out the Culloden end of Inverness it's possible to get a place that's right on the Eastern edge, still a fair distance to Elgin but your not trying to cross Inverness at least. Also once you know the roads by heading out over Culloden Moor and through Cawdor it's possible to bypass Nairn and and join the A96 after Auldearn making for a more pleasent commute if driving Inverness - Elgin.

While Inverness isn't a very big place it's still possible to be up to 8miles from the city centre in some of the furtherest flung developments, but there's also quite a few central developments ongoing that aren't in the mega bucks price range of those river flats!

Milton of Leys is the other hotbed of development in Inverness, good location for an escape to the mountains, and for A96 avoidence, but adding to the total journey time to Elgin.

One thing to note coming from Glasgow - Inverness must be the only city the kebab shops shut before the pubs!! There's no differentation between pubs and clubs in terms of licencing times, so some of the pubs are open till 3am.
boarderdownunder

Last Visited: 01:49
25th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 01.48hrs on Tue 6 Mar 07
I moved to Inverness last summer and think living here is wonderful. I'm in the town centre so have all the city amenities I could want, but at the same time can hop on my mountain bike and be straight out into interesting countryside.

I've got to know the A9 between here and Aviemore very well, mostly for skiing - but have also been out walking and climbing in the amazing NW highlands that always seemed so far away when I lived in Edinburgh. There's incredible mountain biking which is particularly useful for keeping yourself entertained on dreich autumn days; and I haven't even started to explore the surfing possibilities.

I'm quite confident this is the best place in the UK to live.
II

Last Visited: 09:22
4th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 22.34hrs on Tue 6 Mar 07
I have a friend who works in Inverness and commutes from Ratagan 65 miles from Inverness eye rolling smiley and has done so for 3 years....

go slide....
mau00149

18th Dec 2017
Date Posted: 08.28hrs on Wed 7 Mar 07
I would ideally like to be located in Inverness or close by for the facilities etc but the communte to elgin along the A96 every day would not be to good for the other half especially with it not being a great road. There certainly are alot of new houses being built and planned for the future. If my memory serves me correct there are proposals for several thousand more houses in Nairn and a bypass to.

The communte from Ratagan must take up a good chuck of their day assuming they commute every day. But i guess it isnt that much when you think about what some of the people down in london do.

Cheers for the views, good to hear no one has any negative thoughts about Nairn, although i am still open to hearing them.
ColinTheCop

Last Visited: 18:44
16th Jul 2019
Date Posted: 14.36hrs on Mon 19 Mar 07
Edited:

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 22.38hrs Tue 12 Feb 08 by ColinTheCop.
growwild

Date Posted: 16.53hrs on Mon 19 Mar 07
Aw man!!!

Thats some pad ye had Colin!

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 17.32hrs Mon 19 Mar 07 by growwild.
HTH

Last Visited: 11:13
20th Feb 2018
Date Posted: 17.14hrs on Mon 19 Mar 07
Top notch, great views....and the Red Arrows right over yer hoose.!
Hustler

Last Visited: 07:52
19th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 21.45hrs on Mon 19 Mar 07
Picture looks like Stratherrick to me, somewhere near Whitebridge..?
Used to live in Fort Augustus for the first seventeen years..
After that, a Barrat box in Nairn must be a sore one.
ColinTheCop

16th Jul 2019
Date Posted: 22.13hrs on Mon 19 Mar 07
Edited

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 22.39hrs Tue 12 Feb 08 by ColinTheCop.
mau00149

18th Dec 2017
Date Posted: 12.52hrs on Mon 2 Apr 07
Have been looking round Nairn over the past few weeks, some nice areas, looking at one just off the Grantown on Spey road, Balmakeith Park area. Just now i see Nairn as a commuter town for Inverness, was wondering though what would happen if/when all the new houses are built on the east side of inverness beyond Balloch and the like. These would be more desireable for commuting due to the proximity to the city centre but would it reduce the resale factor and hence house value in Nairn? Maybe i'm thinking about it too much....
ColinTheCop

16th Jul 2019
Date Posted: 19.25hrs on Mon 2 Apr 07
The new development that Moray estates are planning at Gollanfield will be nothing more than a soul-less communter town I'd reckon.

I mean, apart from lots of spanking new houses what will there be...?

The GF Job plans for Whitness look a bit more interesting from what I can gather.

mau00149

18th Dec 2017
Date Posted: 12.26hrs on Tue 3 Apr 07
Been having a look at the plans, seems to be quite a big development proposal over the next 30-50 years. Not sure how much it will affect the immediate market but through time certainly will be some changes.

On the job front, is anyone on here in the engineering/construction business and can provide an overview or thoughts on job prospects and companies? HAve done a bit of research but wondering if anyone had any other info to offer.
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: