You are NOT Logged in.
Meet up and have a chat about anything, just about. Pop in and get the craic...
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  1234567891011Next
Current Page:1 of 11
alan

Last Visited: 22:28
10th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Election 2007
Date Posted: 23.10hrs on Thu 26 Apr 07
Since the Election is just a week away, time for a thread. Be good.

I Shall start with the possibility (I'd say likelyhood) that the SNP will come out on top but with Alex Salmond failing to become an MSP.

At this stage I expect the SNP be to be the biggest party, but don't see Alex Salmond getting elected in Gordon, don't think he is going to overturn the Lib Dem majority.

Alex is also on the North East Scotland regional list, but if the SNP do well nationally they are likely to take Aberdeen Central from Labour. It's likely the SNP will get such a high % of the Constituency seats that they will not get a single additional member from the NE list - meaning Alex Salmond has to win Gordon, in 2003 the SNP came 3rd, in 2005 the SNP came fourth in Gordon.

Could we see Nicola Sturgeon as First Minister, or could smaller potential collation partners use the fact the SNP leader didn't get elected to drive a hard bargin and get the First Ministers job for themselves? Maybe one of the prediction by John Curtice in Scotland on Sunday at the outset of this election wasn't so crazy after all - the next First Minister will be Nicol Stephen!

growwild

Re: Election 2007
Date Posted: 00.13hrs on Fri 27 Apr 07
That Nicol Stephen is a pure wet bag.. He even has a lassies name "Nicol"...

This guy said he would not have a referendum on our freedom, even if the people of Scotland asked for it.. So he is no good, just a typical twat out for his own good, not the country..

Where is Gordon, I've a big box of thumb screws looking for a use..

I think our time is now.. It's time to sing the freedom of this land...

And Nicol said he is gonie pull aw the resorts down!!! worth a vote?

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 00.14hrs Fri 27 Apr 07 by growwild.
alan

10th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 10.16hrs on Fri 27 Apr 07

I really don't understand why the Lib Dems are boxing themselves into a corner on the referendum issue, even if you believe in the Union if you call yourself democrats how can you deny the people a vote on the future of their country?

It's also a 180degree turnaround by the Lib Dems - for years they were banging the drum for a multi-option referendum, it seems to be down to the numpty Ming, he and the plotters who ousted Charles Kennedy have a lot to answer for.

Have to guess though that this hard-line (it's so out of touch with policy and the grass roots of the party) attitude of the referendum is just posturing to gain strength post election so they have a big huge bargaining chip to buy concessions from the SNP in other areas?

Hustler

Last Visited: 07:52
19th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 11.56hrs on Fri 27 Apr 07
I'm beginning to think I should have done a postal vote and then taken myself off to a very remote mountain top for at least a week until it all blows over.
Do you think St Kilda might be far enough away?

No doubt most of the shady deals are already in place to match up with the more likely possible outcomes.
Like who gets to replace Jakey McConnell at Butt house if Salmond finds himself headed for the dole.
andydckent

Last Visited: 15:28
12th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 17.08hrs on Fri 27 Apr 07
At the moment all I really want is for Edinburgh's Labour Council to be voted out! They have succeeded in making Edinburgh one of the crappest cities in the world. The only people I can see beating them is the SNP and so that is who I will vote for.

My key concerns are: The mess they have made of our roads, the waste of money on an un needed tram system and building on our parks.

Meadowbank is being closed and sold for housing, replaced with a sports centre in Niddrie were I do not want to go and a new stadium on the site 12 very well used football piches at sighthill. My old school is to be demolished and will be replaced by housing and rebuilt on portobello park. The 5 aside football piches in portobello are being closed. The one remaining football pich at the college next to my house is to be turned into noew houses.

And they say our kids are not fit enough.

ps I am not a crazy football fan but i disagree with the loss of parks for housing.

... Dont get me started on roads, speed bumps, the city centre traffic management scheme or the trams.... I am all for the environment but what is needed is proper investment in bus services and the local rail network.... you have been warned tongue sticking out smiley

alan

10th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 18.49hrs on Fri 27 Apr 07
I'd like to see the tram system go ahead, because it would provide a link to Edinburgh airport that might allow sense pervail over the proposed and absurd £600m rail link. Build the tram link and put the £600m into other rail projects.

Why build a couple of km of track for that price, it could double track long streaches of the Highland line to Inverness and provide capacity for hourly trains and the signaling and track improvements to substantially improve Inverness-Aberdeen journey times to 90minutes, 45minutes below current and an hour below what you can do on the A96. It would greatly reduce the need for dualling the A9 and A96 and money freed up from that could probably pay for electrifying the East Coast Main Line all the way to Aberdeen.
andydckent

Last Visited: 15:28
12th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 20.19hrs on Fri 27 Apr 07
Trams were removed from Edinburgh in the 1960s and replaced with buses. There are a number of reasons for this but one key reason was that buses were more flexible than trams and there had been problems in due to trams becoming trapped behind broken down trams.

In fact one pro tram person (canny mind who) thought he'd be smart and sent out an old picture of Princes St full of trams as a christmas card... It was later pointed out to him that this was a picture of a famous tram breakdown when almost every tram in the city had become stuck on princes st behind a single broken down tram.

I am not opposed to light rail and Edinburgh has over 60 miles of abandoned railways lines, including the south suburban (not actually abandoned) that could be used for this purpose. There is no need to cause more congestion by putting trams back on the roads.

A quick list of stations closed around edinburgh in the 1960s (I am no expert, but I expect with the right planning many could be brought back into use as the abandodned tracks still exist)... Granton gasworks, granton road, pilton station,bonnington station, new haven station, craiglockheart station, morningside road, blackford hill, newington, duddingston, balerno, collington, juniper green, barnton, balgreen halt, corstorphine, craigleith, davidsons mains, gorgie station, murrayfield station, pinkhill station, easter road, joppa, portobello, north leith, south leith, leith central, abbyhill

The airport is already served with frequent buses to the city centre. Even so the airport section of the tram does not have funding yet. The primary section of tramway is down leith walk to Granton, an area already very well served by buses.

And the estimated cost... £592m.... not much less than a rail link to the airport. Money would be much better spent on light rail (south suburban line) and improvement of and reduced cost bus transport.
growwild

Date Posted: 23.55hrs on Fri 27 Apr 07
I hear labour have been banging the drum again!!

If we want our oil back then we will lose our subsidies!!!!!!

Welllll I've never heard such pish in my life, and i've heard a lot! The subsidies those theiving b*tards give us is our money anyway, its a wee bit of the oil money and booze tax they pinch that they give us back, like pocket money! So we will do far better without them and their pathetic wage..

And on the subject of transport, some cash has tae be put intae the west cost.. The A82 is a joke, it's about tae fall intae the loch at some bits..

growwild

Date Posted: 17.36hrs on Wed 2 May 07
BITS OUT!!! OUT OUT!! Go on home british soldiers, go on home have u got no fecking homes of your own!!! smiling smiley

I will not pay Tax again if the brits win, and the tv licence will be cancelled..

Who saw the debate on the tv last night, i just seen the last ten minutes, but mcconnal looked like a right wee fud, and that lib dem muppet was just a muppet.. He aint out for Scotland!!!

And I was reading that jacobite party site, and they make a good point that as Scotland takes up 31% of Britain we are entitled to 31% of there recources/income and if they say no, we will fight them once again and kick their arses once more!

II

Last Visited: 09:22
4th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 18.17hrs on Wed 2 May 07
Right i've decided-
At least one of my votes will be (with gritted teeth) for the SNPmoody smiley

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 07.20hrs Thu 3 May 07 by II.
William

Last Visited: 08:32
12th Apr 2008
Date Posted: 18.40hrs on Wed 2 May 07
alan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > I really don't understand why the Lib Dems are
> boxing themselves into a corner on the referendum
> issue, even if you believe in the Union if you
> call yourself democrats how can you deny the
> people a vote on the future of their country?

If only 30% of the population vote for the SNP, then the other 70% are not interested in their policies. (I mean policy, because they are a one trick pony (nothing wrong with that)). Why should any Unionist party support a policy that they are against and the majority of voters have voted against? That, surely is UNdemocratic. Who should a LibDem voter, a Unionist, vote for?

The Lib Dems have their own manifesto, and that is what they will take to the election and if people vote for them, that is what they will be expected to act upon. As far as I am aware, supporting the break-up of the UK is not in their manifesto,

Interesting article in the Times last week about the Shetland Isles and their own independence movement. Much less vocal than that of Scotland's (obviously), but the feelings of apartness are much greater there, with most of the population claiming to be Shetlanders (70% of males have DNA traceable to Scandinavia), rather than Scottish (which is seen as an insult by some) or god-forbid, British. Shetland is closer to Bergen than Edinburgh, and historically, is Scandinavian.

What was also interesting was the potential immense oil wealth of an independent Shetland. I wonder what Salmonds view on that is? (Can you call yourself a democrat of you do not give the Shetlanders a vote on the future of their country?)

[www.timesonline.co.uk]

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 18.51hrs Wed 2 May 07 by William.
William

12th Apr 2008
Date Posted: 18.43hrs on Wed 2 May 07
growwild Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And I was reading that jacobite party site, and
> they make a good point that as Scotland takes up
> 31% of Britain we are entitled to 31% of there
> recources/income and if they say no, we will fight
> them once again and kick their arses once more!

And 31% of the National Debt, no doubt?

(I think the population of Scotland is around 8% of the UK. Or are we claiming for sheep too?)
growwild

Date Posted: 19.12hrs on Wed 2 May 07
And he comes riding up on the white horse for one last battle!! tongue sticking out smiley

Wit u all about? WE will not have there debt. I'm sure they owe us way more with the many times they raped and pilliged our sweet lands...

The government and the powers of engerland are on the pan right now.. They know there is a movement in these bonnie lands, a call for freedom from those horrid tyrants...

A free Scotland for one and all..

Edit: Shetland can have their independance if they want to! And in some parts of these lands, sheep and man are equal!

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 19.14hrs Wed 2 May 07 by growwild.
alan

10th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 19.37hrs on Wed 2 May 07
William, the Lib Dems banged the multi-option referendum drum through the 90s, arguing that it was Scotland's democratic right to national self determination, it still is so why the change? If they are confident that they could win it on more powers within the UK why not have the vote and put this arguement to bed for a number of years? Is it because they know the Lib Dems will split right down the middle in an Independence referendum and that they could not hold a party line either way without fracturing the party?

Thus your assessment that a Lib Dem voter must be a Unionist is misplaced. Shetland has played the oil game well, securing massive capital investment in infrastructure that will see the Islands secure long beyond the oil industry and putting aside a large fund for a rainy day, something that the UK and Scotland without a political entity in the oil heydays sadly so utterly failed to do when Thatcher squandered billions keeping people on the dole.

William

12th Apr 2008
Date Posted: 21.04hrs on Wed 2 May 07
I was under the impression that the LibDems were in favour of a Federal Britain? I'm sure there are LibDems on both sides of the fence on this issue. I don't really see it as a typical party politcal issue at all (except for the Conservative And Unionist Party)

By the way is bloke out of his mind?

"SNP leader Alex Salmond said independence was "not a one-way street" and a Scotland which went its own way could later re-join the United Kingdom."

Considering Scotland leaving the Union is favoured more by the English than the Scots (by some margin), I can't imagine us being welcomed back with open arms! This will be a one-way street, and because of that, I think the Scottish middle-classes might have a case of the jitters on election night (Kinnock effect)
Goto Page:  1234567891011Next
Current Page:1 of 11
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: