You are NOT Logged in.
Meet up and have a chat about anything, just about. Pop in and get the craic...
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
-chris-

Last Visited: 22:43
19th Jan 2008
Moving to the Lochaber area/ forum newbie
Date Posted: 13.31hrs on Mon 18 Jun 07
Hi,

I'm moving up to the Lochaber area soon to start work with Forestry Commision.
Currently live 400 miles away in Sheffield so quite a big move!

Not normally into the whole forum intro's thing but there seems to be quite a close community going on here.

Basically looking for people to moutainbike with over summer (and places to ride).
I've done some snowboarding and quite a bit of mountainboarding over the years so will be out on the slopes over winter and again it'd be good to meet some locals.

After breaking my wrist badly and needing several operations I started doing a fair bit of bouldering to build back stregnth and movement so I've got a pretty braod range of interests, all of which the area caters for nicely!

Also interested in reccomendations of places to go in general around Fort William as again I'm not going to know anyone/ anywhere in the area for a while.

So fire away with suggestions or fancy giving me a tour of your local spots.

Cheers
Chris
Lionel

Last Visited: 01:15
26th Nov 2017
Re: Moving to the Lochaber area/ forum newbie
Date Posted: 16.31hrs on Mon 18 Jun 07
Hi Chris,

And welcome on board !!! I don't live in Scotland but I am sure you will enjoy this great place to live. I hope that some Fort williamers will welcome you and take you mountainbiking and skiing or boarding.

I would like to advise you to register on this Fort William based forum. I don't know if there are many people into sports on that forum but they have a very good sense of humour and they will tell you about the best places to enjoy food and drinks and to socialize.

[www.gatheringplace.co.uk]

Greetings from the French Alps,

Lionel
-chris-

19th Jan 2008
Date Posted: 10.03hrs on Tue 19 Jun 07
Hi Lionel,

Thanks for that, seems like a good little forum for the social side of things.

Regards,
Chris
growwild

Date Posted: 17.01hrs on Tue 19 Jun 07
Awright Chris.

Nice one on moving up, yal have tae learn the banjo tae live in Fort William and dont go near a canoe, smiling smiley

dunno much aboot Fort William as I live in sunny Glasgow but there seems tae be a good amount of nice burds, and if yer looking for a good slide in the winter then ye have picked the right spot as Glencoe aint that far winking smiley

Hustler

Last Visited: 07:52
19th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 20.52hrs on Tue 19 Jun 07
Get yourself down to Off-Beat Bikes on the high street to get the gen on local DHing and to hook up with other riders. They should be able to suggest a few names to talk to if you are into doing epic rides in the mountains, with some serious rocky downhills.
From what I hear, there's some respectable rocky stuff around Sheffield, so you should feel right at home exploring the old trails around say, Kinlochleven.

Just invest in a bottle of Avon "Skin-so-soft" before you arrive. Most folk find it a very effective midge deflector.
-chris-

19th Jan 2008
Date Posted: 22.45hrs on Tue 19 Jun 07
Yeah I use Avon allready after discovering it in our local Nevis Sport shop- strangely about 450 miles from the Nevis range in Hathersage which is where our (in comparison) slightly pathic looking climbing is.

To be honest our downhills were much rockier than say the world cup DH track or Laggan, differance is ours are a minute long so you dont really feel it so much.
Very different style tracks from what I've ridden though, both xc and dh- although I've barely scratched the surface up there.
We deffinately have rocks but they're more square edged slower pick your way through stuff than anything I've ridden in Scotland which was more endurance and staying lighter over longer more rounded stuff.

Spoke to a guy from Off Beat when I was up for the interview so will deffinately give them a shout.

Deffinately be getting some boarding in at Glen Coe aswell- hopefully I can stretch to buying a new board as I outgrew mine years ago- as did the dry slopes prices!

Cheers
Chris
boarderdownunder

Last Visited: 01:49
25th Feb 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 23.15hrs on Tue 19 Jun 07
I'm in Inverness now but have at some time or another spent a total of a couple of years in the Fort. It's a great place, very friendly, with huge outdoor potential. You'll find good bouldering up at Polldubh although personally I tended to stick to the roped stuff as it's so good. And don't forget that if you get bored of all the tracks around Nevis Range there is sensational biking up around (and north of) Inverness too.

Once you get used to the rain and the midges you'll be fine!
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: