You are NOT Logged in.
Meet up and have a chat about anything, just about. Pop in and get the craic...
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
h11lly

Last Visited: 18:38
2nd Sep 2019
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Video editing software.
Date Posted: 10.05hrs on Tue 17 Jul 07
Anyone have suggestions for a software programme that will edit and join quicktime movie clips ( MOV ) that my olympus produces, but also work with MP4 files that the sanyo produces.

Something that is simple and user friendly and ideally doesn't involve file conversion.

Google throws out many suggestions, some that offer free downloads, but without any experience I'm not sure what to go for.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Helen
telemarker

Last Visited: 14:59
12th Apr 2021
Re: Video editing software.
Date Posted: 15.21hrs on Wed 18 Jul 07
Do you have windows XP Helen
as the supplied windows movie maker does basic stuff in that
not sure if it can handle those formats though, as i have only edited .avi so far
telemarker

Last Visited: 14:59
12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 15.24hrs on Wed 18 Jul 07
it says on the version on my work laptop it supports following video types:
asf, .avi, .m1v, .mp2, .mp2v, .mpe, .mpeg, .mpg, .mpv2, .wm, and .wmv

pavlf

Last Visited: 00:09
6th Jun 2019
Date Posted: 15.31hrs on Wed 18 Jul 07
i'd suggest you get xilisoft video converter .. that will convert mov files to avi or whatever & then you can do basic editing tasks with the awful, but not unusable, windows movie maker. If you know about torrents it's easy enough to get for free - not sure how much it is to buy.
h11lly

2nd Sep 2019
Date Posted: 15.32hrs on Wed 18 Jul 07
Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes it was windows movie maker that I used to make the White Lady clip but I had to convert the files first. I found a programme 'Rad video tools' that can do it successfully for the Olympus MOV files but it doesn't work for the MP4 files that the Sanyo video camera produces. The conversion result was jerky.

I'm really looking for something that will work with both formats without having to convert them first.

Helen
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 15.47hrs on Wed 18 Jul 07
Try a search for FFMPEG for windows. It's a unix video conversion tool, but there have been some versions made for windows, but not sure if these versions support MP4. It may also not be user friendly, I've only ever tried the linux version which is a command line application, absolutely no graphical user interface here!
Jim

Last Visited: 20:24
27th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 07.24hrs on Thu 19 Jul 07
There are a couple of very good one stop shops for finding utilities, freeware, shareware etc. The ones that I use are www.snapfiles.com and www.filehippo.com

Both sites have lists and lists of stuff - there may well be good video editing software in there.

Snapfiles in particular has oodles of stuff.

Anything that I have ever downloaded from either of these sites has been fine - no malicious sofware or stuff like that.

Have to say, video formats are a nightmare- there are so many and its all very confusing.

Hope you get something, Helen, want to see more good vids up on Youtube.

Jim

PS: If you want to see how bad the fabric of society can become, go to youtube and do a search for buckfast - you'll find neds competing with each other to down a "boatle o buckie" in the shortest possibe time......honest, I kid you not...
h11lly

2nd Sep 2019
Date Posted: 10.13hrs on Fri 20 Jul 07
Thanks for your suggestions. These websites have the AVS video software that seems to be well rated so I might give it a try.

< its all very confusing.>

Rings a bell confused smiley Probably not to a teenager though winking smiley

I've given your ned video a miss but found this excellent one of a guy and his dad ski touring at Drumochter this year. [www.youtube.com]

If only the turn off to Cairngorm from Inverness came after Drumochter! The last two years I've said I'd definitely go and I still haven't. On seeing this video it's a must do for next season,and at the rate the road works are progressing at Aviemore I reckon they will still be there, so that will be an other reason to keep going south!

Helen
WebCT_Guru

Last Visited: 14:32
21st Jan 2019
Date Posted: 10.41hrs on Fri 20 Jul 07
Here's a suggestion but I don't know if it will work, but worth a try:

1. connect your camera to your laptop/pc, (firewire connection prefered)
2. Open Win XP Moviemaker
3. play the video on the camera, so that Moviemaker shows the video i.e. Moviemaker acts as an output/monitor
4. Record/edit the video in Moviemaker etc...

This method works for a conventional digital (tape) video camera.

WebCT_Guru

Last Visited: 14:32
21st Jan 2019
Date Posted: 11.03hrs on Fri 20 Jul 07
Actually, forget what I said as I have tried doing what I said with some .mov files on my digital camera and it doesn't work.

As pavlf suggested get Xilisoft video converter [www.tucows.com]

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11.03hrs Fri 20 Jul 07 by WebCT_Guru.
h11lly

2nd Sep 2019
Date Posted: 13.35hrs on Fri 20 Jul 07
Thanks WebCT (Web-cee-tee) Guru

I did try in between your posts and it didn't work, so I was wondering if I'd overlooked something because the Windows moviemaker would not detect the camera as a video capture device. I think it's probably the case that it just won't accept MP4 files.

As it is, most of the clips I've shot are now only on our pc as I've wiped them off the camera card so it's the computer software that I'm needing.

Thanks anyway.

Helen
rossy

Last Visited: 05:42
4th Mar 2015
Date Posted: 18.40hrs on Wed 25 Jul 07
Im a bit late Helen, but i was using Sony Vegas for my films this season. Can add music, change the file type and cut and paste parts of film too. got it off Download.com
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: