You are NOT Logged in.
Meet up and have a chat about anything, just about. Pop in and get the craic...
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
StevieMcK

Last Visited: 13:25
29th Apr 2019
Latest initiative at Cairngorm
Date Posted: 12.33hrs on Wed 21 Nov 07
Some people may think that Cairngorm treat their customers like crap... but dumping it in the carpark beside them. Thats a step too far! lol

[news.bbc.co.uk]

growwild

Re: Latest initiative at Cairngorm
Date Posted: 13.52hrs on Wed 21 Nov 07
This is the start of it i bet. Another money maker

Pay for pooh at cairngorm, £5 a hit per human and animals(even sheep) £2 then they are gonna compost in in those things and charge em back at £50 per litre for crap compost..
HTH

Last Visited: 11:13
20th Feb 2018
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 14.18hrs on Wed 21 Nov 07
Seems to be a problem in poopular areas. They've even just built 2 toilets, Roman style, at Corrour Bothy because human contamination of the hill streams was making it unsafe as a water supply.

Looks like you must use one of the special bags (degrades at 40 DegC), otherwise the system doesn't work. - Problem if the Ranger Base isn't open when you arrive at night for the walk-in. How do you pick up the special bags & bottles? (Carefully, I dare say winking smiley )
cmorrison

Last Visited: 10:36
21st Apr 2021
Date Posted: 16.08hrs on Wed 21 Nov 07
Ah the fun that can be had with this article!

"Faeces have also been found in snow holes - shelters dug into a snow-covered hillside - at Ciste Mhearad and Coire Domhain."

I think someones talking shite...(boom boom!) Everyone who has ever read a paper in this country knows that you dont get snow in Scotland, where are these snow holes coming from!

:-)
HTH

20th Feb 2018
Date Posted: 16.42hrs on Wed 21 Nov 07
How do we know they're human? - It could be Big Foot (AKA "Sa-squat") That would also explain the Elephant Fences...

Now that would be a "scoop" (journalistically speaking of course). smiling smiley
growwild

Date Posted: 16.59hrs on Wed 21 Nov 07
HTH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Seems to be a problem in poopular areas. They've
> even just built 2 toilets, Roman style, at Corrour
> Bothy because human contamination of the hill
> streams was making it unsafe as a water supply.
-----------------------

Are the streams feeding hooses, or is it aboot just the walkers drinking oot em?

I mind when i was a pup walking up the hills and taking a drink oot a freshwater stream/spring thing, it does pop oot the hills but a dunno how much filtering gets done, anyway. The water always tasted class and was always nice and cold, after refreshing maself and filling a bottle i proceeded up the hill only tae find a stinking sheep wi its guts dangling oot plonked right in the wee stream!
HTH

20th Feb 2018
Date Posted: 17.17hrs on Wed 21 Nov 07
The chap from the MBA told me the Corrour water had been analysed and found to be gathering human-originated traces. So the toilets are there to halt this accumulation.

Drinking further upstream is probably just as fresh as it ever was. Just down in the peatbogs near the bothy was the problem I believe. - Scotland's Everest, eh?
growwild

Date Posted: 17.29hrs on Wed 21 Nov 07
lol, Scotland is an Everest in terms of rubbish laying aboot the hills and the side of rivers..

What are they Roman bogs like, dae they remove the waste or is it composted chemical free?

Next time the anti snowsports walkers, or more anti resort walkers moan in the papers or at the council about the "mess" the resorts make, they can hit back with a head line "At Least We Dont Shite In The Streams"
HTH

20th Feb 2018
Date Posted: 17.53hrs on Wed 21 Nov 07
It's a 2-up side-by-side bog. Just one common door, so you can enjoy polite conversation while seated.

I didn't pay attention to the science bit, about how it doesn't feed bad things into the water supply. - I don't think the septic lorry can get that far up the glen, even with a very very long snorkel. So it must do clever things under the ground.
growwild

Date Posted: 18.16hrs on Wed 21 Nov 07
hahahahaha.

"So it must do clever things under the ground."

Wits it?

I wonder if cairngorms have loads of wee clever poohs under ground printing aff money, and that poop pipe thing fae Stevies post is just for throwing the escapes back in that have used the burn tae escape cause the wages are shite.

dhorsley

Last Visited: 16:55
16th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 09.09hrs on Thu 22 Nov 07
The clash has 3 composting toilets - nothing complicated, just a seat above a big square container sitting on the soil. You crap or pee as per normal, and then chuck a handfull of sawdust/chainsaw chips down. It slowly rots down. Not sure what will happen when it is full, but access is fine for removal.
Mike_w

Last Visited: 06:19
12th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 00.46hrs on Sat 24 Nov 07
Discovered at the loch ossian youth hostel what maintenance goes on at a composting bog.

Think of a pyramid affect and having to go in there with your protective suit on to rake it all down... and according to the warden thats not the worst job at the hostel.

Mike in Edinburgh
Assorted scottish pics - www.prog99.com
growwild

Date Posted: 01.14hrs on Sat 24 Nov 07
OOh no thanks.

Did they say wit they done with the compooh when its done?

I bet ya could grow some shit hot chillies oot it!!
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: