You are NOT Logged in.
Meet up and have a chat about anything, just about. Pop in and get the craic...
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Neil C

Remote Weather station
Date Posted: 22.14hrs on Thu 24 Jan 08
Where can I buy a weather station that I can set up at my house in Bulgaria and access it through the internet? Is it easy to do?

Anyone know?

Cheers

eye popping smiley)
Snowborders

Last Visited: 20:34
24th Feb 2013
Re: Remote Weather station
Date Posted: 17.52hrs on Fri 25 Jan 08
Google Davis Vantage Pro.
I use one on the farm, it is solar powered and communicates with the unit in the office by a line of sight radio link. This version can be used to upload to a website. I think you can also put a mobile phone link thingamy bob on it as well.
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 18.38hrs on Fri 25 Jan 08
Vantage Pro's are pretty pricey, but if your wanting data from Bulgaria and are often in UK, then you just can't nip down the road to reset the PC/Weather Station if it has a blip!

Also worth having a look at Peet Bros stuff, not as pricey as the Davis gear, but probably better suited to "remote sensing" applications than some of the more consumer type weather stations on the market.

You could set this up for £100, but it depends how accurate you need the data to be and how reliable you want the system to be. I assume you already have net access at the house in question?
Neil c

Date Posted: 18.45hrs on Fri 25 Jan 08
Hi Gents,

Yes Alan net access isnt a problem. Reliabilty is an issue but the girlfriend lives out there so she could reset if required.

Accuracy isnt a major issue, as long as it is +/- 10% ish.

Would a webcam pointing at at weather display be easier?

Cheers

Neil smiling smiley
Snowborders

Last Visited: 20:34
24th Feb 2013
Date Posted: 22.04hrs on Fri 25 Jan 08
Admittedly the Vantage Pro was £1000 ish. But then it does do wind, dew point, humidity etc etc etc also downloads to PC which can be used to upload to web. They do have cheaper models I think.
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 23.39hrs on Fri 25 Jan 08
[www.ukweathershop.co.uk]

This is on special offer at the moment, it's not the latest and greatest but if you don't want to spend a fortune it's got quite a lot for the price, esp the special offer price it's really a bit of a steal. The AWS at the ski club hut is a WS3600 which is basically the newer touch screen version of the above model.

If their weather stations can survive 3 months on CairnGorm they can probably do a job for you!

Another factor to consider is how technically minded you are and whether your willing to get 'your hands dirty' on the computer side of things. TBH the windows software which comes with the WS3600 and WS2300 isn't up to much, there is better open source software available called OPEN3600 and OPEN2300, they are linux applications but have also been ported to windows.

It was the flexibility of the third party open source linux applications that swung me to these weather stations, rather than the specs or the software provided with the stations.

Both the WS3600 and the WS2300 can be either hard wired and mains powered or they can run of battery (both the console and the sensors) in which case the sensors communicate by radio wave to the console, thus no need to go boring holes in the wall to get a cable to the sensors.

If your willing to spend more, those who have Vantage Pro stations from Davis swear by them, they are certainly great kit, but at a price.
Neil C

Date Posted: 09.07hrs on Sat 26 Jan 08
Thanks gents smiling smiley
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: