You are NOT Logged in.
Meet up and have a chat about anything, just about. Pop in and get the craic...
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2
II

Last Visited: 09:22
4th Aug 2019
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Re: Windfarms
Date Posted: 21.24hrs on Tue 29 Jan 08
Driving around seeing the windfarms not working due to lack of wind/ too windy... watching the tide go out and come in every day .... knowing only 4 nuclear power stations would be ample for all of scotland.... they are ugly.... inefficiant.... expensive.... etc....

go slide....
moffatross

Date Posted: 00.15hrs on Wed 30 Jan 08
And mostly built in Germany !!
naefearjustbeer

Last Visited: 23:28
22nd Nov 2015
Date Posted: 18.23hrs on Wed 30 Jan 08
I hate windfarms and everything associated with them. They are one big con. Nuclear power is the only viable way ahead at this time. Tidal power technology is not advanced enough to be reliable yet. However I do see this as the long term way ahaead. My county has loads of wind generators at the moment and planning applications for hundreds more. We were told that we are too far north to make a comercial nuclear plant viable due to losses in power transmission over the distances involved yet some how electricity generated by windmill is ok to transmit south to where the popultion centres are. Electricity generated by windmill costs more per unit that any other at this time. It is a disgrace and the wool is being pulled over a lot of peoles eyes about so called green power.
James D

Date Posted: 22.05hrs on Wed 30 Jan 08

The unit cost of onshore wind is similar to the cost of nuclear power naefearjustbeer so that comment is not valid. The comment made about the nuclear power not being a viable option at that location is a bit confusing however..

maybe due to the need for wind farms to be preferably located in areas of high consistant wind speed it makes it a more suitable place even thou there will be power losses during transmission. In comparison nuclear power stations could be located close to population and therefore lose less power..

James
andrewr

Last Visited: 15:13
30th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 22.30hrs on Wed 30 Jan 08
Personally i can see them as part of the solution for the UKs environmental commitments, but only a small part.
In saying that i would much prefer to see off shore wind farms rather than land based ones, especially rural, remote land areas (most of the north of Scotland) which tend not to require the power that is produced by the wind turbines.
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 02.15hrs on Thu 31 Jan 08
Nuclear Power Stations should be built as close to where the majority of the power will be used as possible - it minimises losses from transmission and thus makes the whole operation more efficient.

Nuclear Fission though is not a world wide long term answer, waste and proliferation aside, Uranium Fission has a limited future time span due to diminishing and harder to extract fuel sources.
gregor

Date Posted: 10.02hrs on Thu 31 Jan 08
I seem to recall that the prop units on the wind turbines in the sea at Gt. Yarmouth have to be changed every six months due to exposure to the salt water at the cost of 30 grand a pop ; the contract for the maintenance belongs to an Irish company and the parts all come from Germany. If this is the case, doesn't make particularly economic sense. But there again, I can't imagine the alternatives are financially attractive either.
James D

Date Posted: 20.55hrs on Thu 31 Jan 08

Nuclear power may not last for thousands of years but modern nuclear reactors produce 99.9% (thats a fact) than the first generation reactors built in this country in the 1950s that are now being decommissioned. So as far as energy security goes, they can be considered a supply that will not run out in the near future.

regards

James
johnDUB

Last Visited: 12:29
28th Feb 2013
Date Posted: 10.33hrs on Fri 1 Feb 08
We have one on a small industrial estate below us. Funny how they switch it of even when it's windy? Stood still. Waste you ask me..
I read once The funicular put's back a good chunk of juice via good ol "back emf" to the National Grid. Suppose that's a good thing.

You bet your moms tidy ass it is!
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 22.11hrs on Fri 1 Feb 08
The Funicular uses regenerative breaking to control the carriage speeds, whenever there is more weight going down than up power will be generated.
luddite

Last Visited: 22:29
13th Feb 2011
Date Posted: 14.51hrs on Mon 4 Feb 08
James D Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > Nuclear power may not last for thousands of
> years but modern nuclear reactors produce 99.9%
> (thats a fact) than the first generation reactors
> built in this country in the 1950s that are now
> being decommissioned. So as far as energy security
> goes, they can be considered a supply that will
> not run out in the near future.
>
> regards
>
> James

And at what cost to your children's children!!!!!!!! Nuclear power is extremely expensive when you take into account the waste storage (disposal - you must be joking) and decomissioning costs.
If you really find a compelling use for nuclear power then (as has been said above) build them where you need the power most. SOUTHERN ENGLAND!

johnDUB

Last Visited: 12:29
28th Feb 2013
Date Posted: 18.49hrs on Mon 4 Feb 08
A while ago, a proposed site was on the edge at the Peak District in Crich/Derbyshire for a Nuke dump. Ten years plus I think but it got stopped asap.

You bet your moms tidy ass it is!
Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: