You are NOT Logged in.
Meet up and have a chat about anything, just about. Pop in and get the craic...
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
Aviemore

Last Visited: 13:07
4th Jan 2012
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Late Skiing??
Date Posted: 09.27hrs on Tue 12 Feb 08

Looking to book a holiday for the first couple of weeks of May this year (week commencing April 28th). Had thought of maybe getting some skiing in. Looks like there are a few options for that late (Zermatt, Blackcomb side of Whistler). Anyone able to recommend anywhere or have experience skiing this late?? (don't mind that skiing would be fairly limited). Only requirements would be that the resort/village is not shut up for the season - after that happy to take it as it comes for skiing availability/conditions. Need to push the boat out a bit on this one too so budget will be flexible. Any ideas most welcome

thanks

Barry
Mike_w

Last Visited: 06:19
12th Aug 2019
Re: Late Skiing??
Date Posted: 09.33hrs on Tue 12 Feb 08
According to the whistler/blackcomb piste map they haven't decided which side to keep open late this year.

I think tignes is open until early may?

Mike in Edinburgh
Assorted scottish pics - www.prog99.com

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 09.54hrs Tue 12 Feb 08 by Mike_w.
Hipennine

Date Posted: 09.46hrs on Tue 12 Feb 08
Had a week in Zermatt last week of April last season. Glacier (Klein Matterhorn, Schwarzsee) side was heaving, but Rothorn, Stockhorn, Rote Nase, Hohtalli, etc were empty. Powder bumps on the Stockhorn, and only about 6 people skiing it all day, everyday. Blue skys for a week.

Stay near the Klein Matterhorn gondola station, to give quick easy access to Gornergrat/Hohtalli/Stockhorn via new Gondola from Furi. check the www.zermatt.ch website for planned closing dates of the different sections. Note that if only Klein Matterhorn area open, it can be a bit tame. However, snow depth so far this season would point to all areas having the capbility to be ski-able, but if web site says an area closing on say the 2nd May, it will close then.

Also check out Engelberg in Switzerland - stays open late and mega cheap after the Easter rush. Scenery is good, lots of other mountain activities, and only 1 hour by moutain train from city of Lucerne.

In Austria, Hintertux Glacier is good, with a regular free sportbus from the twin villages of Lanersbach and Vorder-lanersbach, which are nicer bases than Hintertux itself. The dreaded Mayrhofen is further down the valley if you want metropolis, but it's not so bad after Easter.

Also, there's normally quite a bit on the Stubai Glacier in May, but accommodation near the hill is limited. However, very close to Innsbruck for the tourist experience.

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 09.57hrs Tue 12 Feb 08 by Hipennine.
JC

Last Visited: 12:22
27th Feb 2024
What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 17.24hrs on Tue 12 Feb 08
Skied in Banff (Sunshine) mid may a few years ago - just about all runs open and not busy at all, certainly never any queues. Everything, especially accommodation very cheap. Flight to Calgary with Zzoom was about £300 direct from Glasgow.
lechtkid

Last Visited: 14:04
27th Mar 2008
Date Posted: 18.00hrs on Tue 12 Feb 08
I Live one hour from sunshine (banff) in Calgary and skiing is guaranteed every year until the may long weekend which is the 3rd weekend of may. If your coming late april lake louise may still be open as well. its off season in banff by then so hotels are cheap as well. you could be set up for hard packed in am and softening spring snow pm or it could still be snowing and get some late season powder but one thing is for sure they will be open
snowplc

Last Visited: 12:40
16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 21.05hrs on Tue 12 Feb 08
Aviemore,

We skied Sunshine village (Banff) in mid may couple of years ago and it was excellent. they had some late snowfall and although it was a bit warm we hired some pocket rockets and had some fantastic fresh track skiing in the trees. It was very quiet and the locals were really friendly despite it being the end of the season.
Plus by then there is loads of other things to do. Recommend a trip to the Columbia Icefield.

Last year we went to French alps to do some touring (late april/may) and although we hit quite a warm patch and the touring was mixed, we had a great day in Les 2 Alpes. It was the last day of the season (I think it may have been the end of April rather than May) but it was fabulous with snow down to the mid station of the big access gondala. Have just come back from the same area last week and judging by the amount of snow this year I think there will be skiing in the southern Alps until August!!

Did some seasons in Zermatt a few years ago and every time we had to leave because the British tour operators were closing down and our job was ending in mid April we would get on the coach to come home and the snow would be dumping down! Frustrating for us but if Zermatt is open you could do a lot worse.

just wish it was me that was booking two weeks in May!

pete
punx

Date Posted: 00.09hrs on Wed 13 Feb 08
Mike_w Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think tignes is open until early may?

tignes open till the 8th or 9th of may

Aviemore

4th Jan 2012
Date Posted: 09.20hrs on Wed 13 Feb 08

thanks all, plenty to go on here, need to get something booked pretty soon so will post my results here

cheers

Barry
JacksonR

Last Visited: 13:50
28th May 2009
Date Posted: 16.13hrs on Wed 13 Feb 08
Have you looked into the resorts in Finland?? I'm currently thinking about going there in the 2nd week of April and the prices are reasonable, the resorts themselves are fairly limited in terms of size compared to the Alps etc but snow appears to be guaranteed around that time of year. In price terms it's comparable (if not cheaper) to the alps.
Mountainaddict

Last Visited: 19:38
6th Jan 2021
Date Posted: 21.03hrs on Wed 13 Feb 08
TIGNES (AND LINKS TO VAL D'ISERE) are open until 7.5.08.

Went that time last year and going back same time this year as it was so good. Very limited hotel & food options in Val D'Isere but the skiing experiencwe was absolutely amazing.

About 50% of the Espace Killy was open - including resort runs to Tignes & Val D'Isere; great winter snow high up (including powder on one day!) through to spring snow and slush on the sunny south facing runs.

Best of all, pistes were empty - as in hardly saw another skier. Pistes to ourselves and a surreal, bordering on weird experience - almost like having your own ski resort!
II

Last Visited: 09:22
4th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 08.31hrs on Thu 14 Feb 08
Val Thorens is still open the first week in May. I went for the last week in April 2007 and it was still posable to ski in and out of the chalet. Snow was good in the morning but heavy by 2pm

go slide....
cmorrison

Last Visited: 10:36
21st Apr 2021
Date Posted: 11.55hrs on Thu 14 Feb 08
Is Glencoe not pretty good in May? The lifts might not be open so you might have to walk up but that'll save you a hundred quid or so over the week!

You would get pretty could weather, cheap accomodation and you wouldn't have to be in France!

chortle chortle.
Aviemore

4th Jan 2012
Date Posted: 16.28hrs on Thu 14 Feb 08
if you can convince her indoors that skiing in glencoe (without the lifts) is the perfect honeymoon then i'm all for it! winking smiley

Barry
Hustler

Last Visited: 07:52
19th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 15.55hrs on Fri 15 Feb 08
How about:

As it's a honeymoon,
rent a car in Geneva and plan to spend a few days in and around Tignes/ Val having what should be some very good skiing, then book ahead and drive to Zermatt. While there, try a stop over in Cervinia in Italy one night having skiid over with a light overnight bag?
For one or two nights, stay up the mountain at the Riffelalp (by the railway to Gornergrat), eat lamb at the Findlerhof, have cakes at Zum See.
You can arrange chopper rides/ heli-ski at that time of year too...

You'd need to do a bit of research on which passes are open at that time or tunnels to use to get the best route from the Vanoise across to the Valais but that will just add to the fun and make the trip more of an adventure.
cmorrison

Last Visited: 10:36
21st Apr 2021
Date Posted: 14.16hrs on Mon 18 Feb 08
Aviemore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> if you can convince her indoors that skiing in
> glencoe (without the lifts) is the perfect
> honeymoon then i'm all for it!
>
> Barry

I am so unbelievably Jealous. I got married last June and was nearly divorced for going on a snowboarding holidays with my mates last month.

Should really have married someone who could ski! Or at the very least enjoyed the cold!
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: