You are NOT Logged in.
Review gear, sell gear, buy gear... use this forum to buy/sell equipment.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
gregor

Thoughts on Snowboard Bindings
Date Posted: 16.02hrs on Sat 2 Feb 08
It's about time to replace my granite Burton Classics and I'm thinking that while I'm on the case, it might be time to try something else.

Would appreciate the thoughts of anybody who has experienced the differences between traditional two straps, the cap-strap alternatives and Flow bindings. I'm liking the look of Flow and the fact that once you adjust them to your liking, you never have to change and the time-saving qualities of stepping into them, but I feel there's a huge difference between coming off an 8-man chair in the Alps to calm and bliss and coming off a poma-on-methadone in Scotland and walking into a 60mph gale!

My main problem is a pain and numbness across the instep. I've got really high insteps (always been a problem for me). Thinking the cap-strap would be an ideal alternative if Flow is a non-goer.

Suspect what I'm going to have to do is hire and see but would still appreciate the musings of those of you with experience.

Not hugely into doing jumps and stuff. Just prefer a sedate slide down the hill.
jurassic

Last Visited: 13:46
13th Nov 2023
Re: Thoughts on Snowboard Bindings
Date Posted: 23.51hrs on Sat 2 Feb 08
I've had two pairs of Flows but have now gone back to strap bindings (I bought a Ride Kink jibbing board and thought it needed strap bindings on, then I just kind of got used to them again).
The Flows are great for freeriding, very comfy and quick to get in and out of. The only downsides I've found are that they're heavy and ugly and a bit restrictive for freestyle. Hth.
StevieMcK

Last Visited: 13:25
29th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 11.37hrs on Sun 3 Feb 08
Flows are a touchy subject with most boarders. Most will give you the argument of "Flows are gay!" when they've never even tried them before.

They're the marmite of snowboarding. You'll either love them or hate them.

Its a speed vs control thing when it boils down to it. With no straps, flows are less responsive. It tales slightly longer for the bindings to transfer your weight through to the board. However, they're easier to get in and out of on the hill.

If you're not doing anything too demanding I'd consider them or at least give them a try

I ride with K2 Cinch bindings on the hill for the same reason. They're a hybrid between flows and strapin bindings. It saves me tons of time if I'm stopping to take photos, etc.

For Dryslope I've got a set of Rome Targas on a shorter board. The toe binding can be used as a traditional toe strap, a toe cap or anything in between. With rotateable highbacks they're night and day difference to the K2s. The slightest movement of your feet will turn the board.
jurassic

Last Visited: 13:46
13th Nov 2023
Date Posted: 12.24hrs on Sun 3 Feb 08
StevieMcK Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Flows are a touchy subject with most boarders.
> Most will give you the argument of "Flows are
> gay!" when they've never even tried them before.
>
>
>
>
> They're the marmite of snowboarding. You'll
> either love them or hate them.
>
> Its a speed vs control thing when it boils down to
> it. With no straps, flows are less responsive.
> It tales slightly longer for the bindings to
> transfer your weight through to the board.
> However, they're easier to get in and out of on
> the hill.
>
> If you're not doing anything too demanding I'd
> consider them or at least give them a try

I disagree with Stevie, I think Flows give more response than strap bindings (they remind me a bit of the old hybrid three strap Burton bindings I used years ago which had responses like hard boots) which is why I think they're poor for freestyle (too restrictive, not enough flex and heavy). As for the Marmite thing, in my experience that's true of people who haven't tried them. I was talked into buying my first pair against my better judgement by a friend who has a shop and thought I'd made a blunder but I loved them and within a year most of my riding buddies had changed over as well. The bottom line is you really need to try them yourself and make your own mind up. As I said, I've moved back to strap bindings now cos I wanted to do a bit of jibbing but I'd never knock Flows for Freeriding.

gregor

Date Posted: 19.30hrs on Tue 5 Feb 08
Thanks for the advice chaps. I'd already seen a few "Flows are gay" comments when Googling so I thought I'd ask on here since once tends to recieved slightly more reasoned response!

Going to have a look at the K2 Cinch when I'm next in the big smoke, but keep my eyes peeled for a cheap Burton cap-strap binding on Ebay in the meantime. Missed out on a pair of Missions that were 'Buy it now' for 50 notes! Argh.

There's a bunch of last years Flows going for bidding via Bargainboards on Ebay too, I'll put in a low enough bid in the off-chance that I'll win and see what they are like. If they stink then they could be shifted pretty quickly via the same method.

Thanks again smiling smiley
JamesMio

Date Posted: 14.47hrs on Thu 7 Feb 08
Just to ad my 2p into the mix, if you're going to go demo'ing a few sets - make sure you try a set of Salomon Relays.

I changed onto these about 6 months ago, from a set of Burton Cartels and can't fault them. They're super comfy, easily as responsible as my Cartels were but minus the agony I got with them.

I no longer have to stop every half an hour or so because of foot/calf pain, their take on Burton's Cap-Strap works well - (sounds very similar to the Rome one that Stevie's described). Can go either over the toe or around the front, depends on your preference.

Each to their own really I suppose, but unless these start falling to bits on me (which judging by how the build quality feels on them I very much doubt will happen in a hurry), I'll not be changing these bindings for a very long time!

Mike_w

Last Visited: 06:19
12th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 17.54hrs on Sat 9 Feb 08
I demoed a burton custom the other day (nice thing about whistler is you get 1 1/2 hour free demo on a whole stack of gear with no sales push at the end of it) and anyway it came with burton mission bindings that were super comfy and didn't give me sore ankles which other bindings seem to do.

I looked at the k2 cinch a few years ago but seemed to be really heavy, I use Ride SPI's just now, the toe strap can be used in the traditional way but also like a toe cap as well. But may pop out to the shops in a mo and get some missions as the shop down the road have them 1/2 price which is tempting..

If you are interested in flows then I'd try before you buy as the sizing seemed to be a bit hit and miss when I last ahd a shot of them, they do look a bit better nowadays though.

Mike in Edinburgh
Assorted scottish pics - www.prog99.com
Andy28

Last Visited: 22:01
9th Mar 2021
What's this?
Date Posted: 23.12hrs on Sun 10 Feb 08
Mike_w Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I demoed a burton custom the other day (nice thing
> about whistler is you get 1 1/2 hour free demo on
> a whole stack of gear with no sales push at the
> end of it) and anyway it came with burton mission
> bindings that were super comfy and didn't give me
> sore ankles which other bindings seem to do.
>
>

thought i had already posted in here but obviously didnt work

i ride the burton mission bindings and they are amazing. that is all grinning smiley
mdem

Last Visited: 14:26
27th Feb 2018
What's this?
Date Posted: 12.45hrs on Mon 11 Feb 08
Depending on the age of your existing burton binders can just buy the capstraps (and highbacks/ankle straps, if need be) separately and mount them to your old baseplates. Older burton baseplates are really solid and there isn't much point in replacing them other than for cosmetic reasons. I still have old synchro baseplates 6/7 years old with new bits. I think the capstraps are supremely comfortable compared to older style toe straps. Newer Burton bindings have definite build quality issues but the warranty service is really, really impressive if something goes wrong (lifetime baseplate warranty and 48hr turnaround).
gregor

Date Posted: 13.30hrs on Mon 11 Feb 08
Cheers mdem. It's something I'm considering.

They are Freestyles (V11.0) from '04 but I've lost one ankle strap already and am very close to losing the other one (have to religeously check the screws each time before I set off). I emailed Burton and they suggest to take them to a Burton dealer to have a look at them. Couldn't find anything online about such a fault but the cheery (seriously) French repairman at the Burton shop in Tignes (where I lost the ankle strap) said that those binding were problematic in the straps coming loose. He put on a much nicer ankle strap and tapped me for five Euros and he also waffled on about my board (it being a really old Burton twin-tip. I think he was quite pleased to see one still going!)

[Edit - 05/06!?! What am I talking about! They are '04 models ...]

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 13.45hrs Mon 11 Feb 08 by gregor.
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: