You are NOT Logged in.
Review gear, sell gear, buy gear... use this forum to buy/sell equipment.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
DonaldM

Last Visited: 20:58
10th Aug 2019
Converting 75mm telemark boots to NTN
Date Posted: 17.21hrs on Tue 23 Dec 14
I have Garmont Kenai boots in 75mm which I love and I have just bought Garmont Prophet NTN boots.

I was a wee bit sad to leave behind my Kenais but on looking at the boots it looks fairly simple, not necessarily easy, to convert the 75mm to NTN.

This could be done by buying the rear clamp piece (not sure of proper name), screwing it in to the sole in the pre-formed cavity which has the piece already in the NTN and cutting the ducks bill back to the same shape as the NTN toe.

Wish me luck?
cratermaker

Last Visited: 14:58
15th Apr 2021
Re: Converting 75mm telemark boots to NTN
Date Posted: 17.40hrs on Tue 23 Dec 14

Try and ascertain whether the 3 pin holes, if there are any in the Kenai, are backed up with a metal insert. If so this will cause problems when you re-profile the duck bill. It can still be done [use a bandsaw], but causes wear and tear problems when walking. I've done it, so I know!

Alternatively, what size are your Kenai?? I use NTN too, but have decided rto keep a 75mm set up for serious touring and want a pair of 27/27.5 Kenai....

CM

The more I see of people, the more I like my dog.
DonaldM

10th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 18.10hrs on Tue 23 Dec 14
I have wee feet - 26.

I have other Garmont boots in 75mm also so can keep touring on those but it seems that the NTN range of boots don't have a Kenai equivalent.

I will need to do more research on the duck bill but from a quick look there doesn't appear to be any metal there.

This is the sole: [imagecdn2.panjo.com] and you can see the space for the NTN insert.
DonaldM

10th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 18.11hrs on Tue 23 Dec 14
PS what boots did you convert and do you have any pictures?
cratermaker

Last Visited: 14:58
15th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 20.43hrs on Tue 23 Dec 14
I did a pair of Excursions to use them as winter walking boots. They had a metal insert which I didn't find until cutting and whilst I could cut through ok, the toe section has only a thin layer of rubber, then the metal, then thin rubber to the plastic shell. It's not ideal, and has worn very fast, to the point that the metal is showing back from the toe edge about 10mm??

I don't have photos to hand.

The Kenai is available in NTN version now, so it should be possible, but I'd question the wisdom. Sell the duckbills and get the real thing!

CM

The more I see of people, the more I like my dog.
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: