You are NOT Logged in.
If you can help and contribute information, stories, or photos from the very beginning to the present day, we would be very grateful.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
moffatross

Scottish Mountaineering Club archive
Date Posted: 16.25hrs on Fri 6 Nov 09
I'm sure many of you already know about this but I've never seen it before so here's a link to a fascinating collection hosted at Uni of Strathclyde.

[gdl.cdlr.strath.ac.uk]

I was quite interested to read this sentence from an article titled 'Snowcraft in Scotland' written 116 years ago ...

[gdl.cdlr.strath.ac.uk]

"Dangerous avalanches occur ordinarily where fresh snow lies on the top of ice, and are not likely to be encountered in Scotland."

... which I'm not sure if the SAIS would approve of. smiling smiley

Edit. Wrong place really. Alan, can you move this to the archive forum please.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 16.47hrs Fri 6 Nov 09 by moffatross.
Chionophile

Last Visited: 22:07
24th Jan 2016
Re: Scottish Mountaineering Club archive
Date Posted: 21.56hrs on Fri 25 Dec 09
Thanks very much for posting this, Ross, some great early information. I'm a life member of the Club and have been a member for 56 years, but I didn't know anything of this archive and so am very pleased to see it. By coincidence I had asked firefly if he could search the early volumes at the British Library in London for notes on (you'll never guess!!) snow patches, for a joint article that we are preparing on historical information. Now I can tell him I have looked at Vols 1-6 inclusive! There was some good stuff, including a description by pioneer geologist Archibald Geikie in 1865 of permanent snows on Ben Nevis. Another nice one was a photo of a tall snow tunnel at the foot of Easy Gully of Creag Meagaidh in September, in the SMCJ of Jan 1900. A cracker for firefly's archive of snow-patch photos!
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: