You are NOT Logged in.
If you can help and contribute information, stories, or photos from the very beginning to the present day, we would be very grateful.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
robpaterson

Last Visited: 08:50
24th Feb 2013
info about the early days of scottish skiing
Date Posted: 20.46hrs on Mon 18 Oct 10
I randomly got chatting to a guy of an older generation today while at the gym in penicuik and mntioned need to get for winter and snowboarding. got talking and turns out he used to Ski in the 50's and 60's

he said it was him and a few mates who took the first tractor up the hill at glenshee and set it up as the first tow.

sounds really interesting. telling me about trying to get the bus up to the slopes and them moving from one side of the bus to the other etc to try and get it up the roads !

also told story of being snowed in at rothimurcus hut for 4 weeks - they did not try to get down.
one of the group broke his leg while up there and got a group of commandos on a two week snow hole training exersise to take him down the hill. sounds like he has some amazing stories to tell. I could not listen any longer as i was baking in the sauna and about to collapse lol

anyway i got his phone no and he is going to have a look for old photos etc and we will meet up for a pint annd find out his stories

he even has his original skis and bamboo ski poles with leather ends on them

i will update as and when i find out more if ppl are interested

Rob
roga

Re: info about the early days of scottish skiing
Date Posted: 09.28hrs on Tue 19 Oct 10
Sounds very interesting, please do update grinning smiley
alan

Last Visited: 22:07
16th Apr 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 10.41hrs on Tue 19 Oct 10
I'll second that. smiling smiley
Aamir

Last Visited: 09:26
19th Dec 2014
Date Posted: 05.29hrs on Fri 12 Dec 14
This is very nice post thanks a lot...!!

handyman

Date Posted: 12.21hrs on Fri 12 Dec 14
Late 1960's early 1970's we had cottage in Boat of Garten next door to Scottish Norwegian Ski School. From memory I think the Norwegian who ran it was called Toby and was fond of a dram.
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: