You are NOT Logged in.
If you can help and contribute information, stories, or photos from the very beginning to the present day, we would be very grateful.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous12345678Next
Current Page:3 of 8
Melissa Burling

Re: Our history.....
Date Posted: 19.50hrs on Sat 26 May 07
I had known a lovely older gentleman Scot in Kitzbuhel who, I had heard, had built the first ski lift in Scotland. Evidently something along the lines of a
johnDUB

Last Visited: 12:29
28th Feb 2013
Date Posted: 10.23hrs on Fri 1 Feb 08
Talking Ski Schools. Mid 90's, a coach company called Skills used to do Ski Supreme weekends on Cairngorm.
The Instructors where a couple and their son.

Derek, tash and a hat, looks a bit like peter sellers. Say late 40's now??
Ross , son, went to work on Rothiemercas estate I think

Sorry it's vague, but I wondered who they were, Not seen Derek for a few years on Cairngorm, wondered how he was gettin on. Always had time for you.. Nice guy.

You bet your moms tidy ass it is!
cmorrison

Last Visited: 10:36
21st Apr 2021
Date Posted: 11.08hrs on Thu 7 Feb 08
This thread fascinates me.

Anyone got any other info/photos of the ill-fated Mar Lodge development.

Surely there must be mroe information from the early days than the few handfulls of photos we have on this forum!

Hipennine

Date Posted: 11.05hrs on Sat 9 Feb 08
There's quite a bit about Mar Lodge (and much of Scottish Skiing's history) in "The Skisters" written by Myrtle Simpson published by Landmark press in the 1980's. Definitely worth a read for anybody who is interested in Scottish Skiing development.
Jamie

Date Posted: 11.15hrs on Sat 9 Feb 08
There's information on past or failed developments in Scotland here:
http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/skiresorts/other/index.php
johnDUB

28th Feb 2013
Date Posted: 18.13hrs on Sat 9 Feb 08
Good that.

Jamie

Date Posted: 20.28hrs on Sat 9 Feb 08
Forgot to mention - if anybody has any further information (especially on the early tows at Dalmunzie or Mount Blair, or the proposed Jean's Gully developments, that I don't yet have any info on) or corrections etc, then please let me know smiling smiley
Kevin Finlayson

Date Posted: 12.49hrs on Sat 15 Mar 08
i read your comment on this page about my grandfather, (frith). Obviously it is a few years old as i noticed by the date. If you still don't have a copy of the book i would be happy to get you a copy. My grandfather is still alive but now in a care home. any questions you would like answered about my grandfather just ask.
Norrie Morrison

Date Posted: 19.29hrs on Fri 25 Jul 08
I read the article above of past developements with great interest as I first learnt to ski at the Lawers range in the years 1968 to 1970. Lunch was taken at the the now demolished hut or when snow was lower down the hill at the car park.There was a small ski club based in Aberfeldy of which I was a junior member. They skied either on a farm field just to the South of Aberfeldy when there was low lying snow or on Ben Lawers. Skiers from Crieff sometimes took a portable tow up to Lawers which was great but ripped the gloves to bits. A similar tow was used in a farm near Aberfeldy in the snowier winters of about 1978/79 to the early eighties.
The skiing at Lawers was mostly on the slopes above the visitors centre [when snow covered] or down by the gully of the burn to the West of Bhein Ghlas or for the more advanced on the snow fields on the East side of Meall Corranich.[sp]
Happy memories!

By the mid seventies with poor snow conditions at Lawers we had discovered the benefits of the permanent tows at Cairngorm and Glenshee and then later the Alps so I never did ski at Lawers again.

I did take my daughter for a walk up there this April and noticed a couple of skiers well up the hillside of Meall Corranich skiing in what looked like excellent snow.
johnDUB

28th Feb 2013
Date Posted: 17.24hrs on Mon 6 Oct 08
I don't know if anybodys been to Loch Insh watersports, but there's some quite interesting pictures in there of ski tows in farmers fields too.

Goto Page:  Previous12345678Next
Current Page:3 of 8
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: