You are NOT Logged in.
If you can help and contribute information, stories, or photos from the very beginning to the present day, we would be very grateful.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
roga

Rare handbill from 1963/64 advertising reduced rail fares to Skiing Resorts
Date Posted: 22.25hrs on Thu 24 Jan 08
Here's another interesting one (at least I think it's interesting!) and it's certainly a rarity.

When reading the "Winter Sports in Scotland: 1964-65" brochure kindly scanned by ledge, see this thread, I noticed that there were reduced train fares offered by British Rail at that time for skiers (never knew that before). Apparently you had to have a voucher produced by The Scottish Council of Physical Recreation and The Scottish Tourist Board to claim the discount. A footnote in the story of Scottish skiing so imagine my surprise when I saw an original handbill from the time on eBay advertising this very offer, here's the eBay billing:

---------------------------------
"SCOTLAND FOR SKI-ING 1963/64.

Special Reduced rates to Ski-ing Resorts 1963/64.

We are told that reduced rate tickets can be obtained from any British Railways Station to the following ;

Aboyne, Alyth Junc., Aviemore, Ballachulish, Ballater, Boat of Garten, Bonar Bridge, Bridge of Orchy, Broomhill, Carr Bridge, Dalwhinnie, Dalnaspidal, Dinnet, Fort William, Grantown - on- Spey, Kincraig, Lairg, Nethy Bridge, Newtonmore, Perth, Pitlochry, Tyndrum.

Also details of the Ski Club of Great Britain and the Scottish Tourist Board.

This original handbill has been folded at some point but otherwise in good condition.

Size 255mm x 160mm"
---------------------------------

I decided to bid for it but to my frustration my internet connection broke (thanks Virgin!) at precisely the time I was about to bid (yes, I'm one of those annoying people who waits to bid at the last minute) and I missed the auction.

So there we have it, I missed out on the leaflet to some train ephemera collector and all I'm left with is a small scan of the original. However I decided to photoshop a facsimile of the original in a more readable size and post it here anyway, along with the less legible original - hopefully it's of interest to someone, it's certainly a novelty! smiling smiley

Here's the original

Here's the facsimile

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 17.10hrs Fri 25 Jan 08 by roga.
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: